• “For pastry cooking, try grating frozen butter into the flour. It cuts in better and will stay cool longer. This helps when I’m making shortbread, as the flour and butter need to be combined. I don’t end up having to put it in the fridge to cool it back down.” — C.S. in South Carolina
• Freshen stuffed animals by securing a few in a pillowcase and adding a fabric softener sheet. Put in the dryer on low heat for 20 minutes, then remove and brush out the fur, if necessary, while still warm.
• “Schedule important doctor’s checkups, like your annual physical and dental cleanings, in the same month each year so you will know when they are coming up. I use my birth month. My mom always has hers done in February.” — E.D. in Massachusetts
• When you’re finished pan-frying something, add a bit of water to the pan and put it back on the still-warm burner while you eat. When you come back to clean up after dinner, the pan drippings will slide right off!
• If you’ve been decluttering as a part of your New Year’s resolutions, and you came across old pairs of eyeglasses, know that you can donate them to any Lion’s Club in your area. They redistribute the glasses to those who cannot afford them. You don’t have to know the prescription, and they take reading glasses too!
(c) 2014 King Features Syndicate, Inc.