• Going to the beach for your vacation? Here’s a handy hint to take great care of your swimsuit. (They get more expensive all the time!) Pack at least two suits and bring a box of baking soda. Soak suit for 15 minutes in a baking soda and water solution, then lay flat on a towel. Roll the towel up and wring lightly. Unroll and hang to dry. Rotate suits. — JoAnn
• Fill a 2-liter soda bottle with water, then plunge the top into a potted plant for self-watering while you are on vacation. Use smaller bottles for smaller pots.
• “This should be a life tip: Feel comfortable in your party clothes. You will be more confident and be a better conversationalist than if you are uncomfortable in very high heels or a too-tight dress. Let your inner light shine! It took me 60 years of uncomfortable clothes for this grandma to figure it out.” — F.L. in Oregon
• Use your Christmas light timers to set different lights to go on or off at certain times of the day while you are away on vacation. You can even use a timer on a radio, so it comes on sometimes too. The variation will make people think you are home.
• “If you read lots of online reviews before cementing your travel plans, make sure you read them with a critical eye. Some read like an advertisement — for or against. Try to see if you can get recommendations from your friends and family too. Most of all, enjoy your time.” — N.F. in Maryland
• Always keep a couple bottles of water and a roll of duct tape in your trunk. You never know when you will need these items, and they seem to be pretty handy when traveling.
(c) 2014 King Features Syndicate, Inc.