• “Every member of our family has a plastic bin in his/her closet to hold items not currently in use. For the littler ones, it’s hand-medowns that are still a little too big. For my husband and myself, it’s out of season items. And for everyone, there is a bin in the garage where we place useable items that no longer fit. Whenever it’s full, we either donate it or start planning our next tag sale.” — A.E. in Massachusetts
• If you have to talk to someone at the cable company, call on a Thursday (unless it’s urgent), as that’s the day they tend to have the fastest response times, experts say.
• If you’ve lost a zipper pull, you can create a temporary one with a paperclip.
• Use a salad spinner to gently “wring out” delicate hand washables. Remove excess water, and then hang dry or lay flat, according to the garment’s instruction.
• Here’s an oldie but a goodie! Iced coffee is at its best when brewed with twice the usual amount of ground coffee, because the coffee is diluted by the melting ice cubes. Or use regular-strength brewed ice coffee and serve over coffee ice cubes. They’re easy to prepare: Pour cool brewed coffee into ice-cube trays and freeze.
(c) 2014 King Features Syndicate, Inc.