• January Sales Items: Get great deals on leftover holiday decorations and cards, appliances and furniture, as well as linens, towels and other “white sale” items.
• Keep a few fabric-softener sheets in the linen closet. It will keep the towels smelling fresh. If you have lots of extra bedsheets, it keeps them fresh-smelling, too.
• “Whenever I have a casserole pan that has bakedon, hard-to-remove bits left behind, I fill it with water, add a little dish soap and stick it back in the warm oven. I let it sit for several hours — even overnight — and the gunk just slides off the next day. Elbow grease is getting harder and harder to come by these days, so I try not to waste it.” — I.S. in Pennsylvania
• “Have a budding artist? Mine has just gone through a crayon-on-thewall period. I tried all kinds of things to get it off, and then a neighbor told me to use a damp rag dipped in baking soda. It’s great, and the crayon came right off.” — G.L. in Massachusetts
• Substitutions: 1 cup of sugar dissolved in 1/4 cup of hot water can stand in for 1 cup of corn syrup.
• “If you live alone, always take your cellphone with you when you go outside or in the garage; in case of an accident, you can contact someone.” — K.P., via e-mail
Send your tips to Now Here’s a Tip, 628 Virginia Drive, Orlando, FL 32803. (c) 2018 King Features