• Stretch shoes with a zipper-top baggie! Insert a plastic bag into the shoe, where your feet go. Then add water just to fill. Put them in the freezer until solid. The ice expands as it freezes, which stretches the shoe.
• If you’re replacing a hinge to re-hang a door and you need to use the same holes, add grip by placing a matchstick or toothpick in the hole before rescrewing the attachments. Just break it off flush with the door jamb. It will add some security to the hole so it won’t be so loose.
• “Got kids? Take a tip from a furniture salesman: Get a couch that has a patterned fabric. Patterns hide stains and discoloration. The smaller the pattern, the more forgiving.” — W.S. in Idaho
• “Stick a dryer sheet in the bottom of your trash can. It will give off a bit of fresh smell whenever something lands in the bag.” — R. in Pennsylvania
• Sometimes old tricks are the best tricks: Use a cut half of a lemon liberally sprinkled with salt to scrub a wood cutting board clean. The salt acts as an abrasive while the acids in the lemon neutralize odors and bacteria. Rinse and dry.
• When defrosting meats in the fridge (never on the counter, right?), make sure they are sitting in a tray or plate with a lip. If the plastic leaks, you don’t want meat dripping on your other groceries. Defrost meats on the bottom shelf, just in case.
Send your tips to Now Here’s a Tip, 628 Virginia Drive, Orlando, FL 32803. (c) 2018 King Features