• Keep a cutting board in place with a lightly damp kitchen towel underneath. It won’t slide. Cutting a juicy fruit? Even better. The towel catches drips off the side.
• Soften butter in a jiffy without a microwave. Cut into pats and let sit for 10- 15 minutes. The smaller the pat, the quicker it softens.
• “Overwhelmed by paper clutter? Using a plastic file box, gather papers in file folders, simply filling up each folder before moving to the next. Then, go folder to folder, and decide what should be kept or tossed/ shred/recycled. You should be left with a much smaller amount, which you can file with other like items.” — A.N. in New Hampshire
• “Store your kids’ favorite breakfast cereal in a large jar with a measuring scoop. This will help children be more independent and stop them from pouring too much in a bowl — and spilling cereal all over the floor.” — R.Y. in Virginia
• Quick pickled vegetables can make a perfect little side dish or even garnish that makes you look like a fancy cook. Just add a bit of salt and sugar to white vinegar, then add some thinly sliced veggies — carrots, cucumber, cabbage, beans or squash. Let sit for 20 minutes or more, then drain and serve.
• “What I’m loving right now: marinated fresh cheese! Slice or chunk fresh mozzarella or goat cheese, and throw it in a bowl with some olive oil, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, fresh herbs or what have you. The longer it sits, the yummier it gets. It doesn’t last long around here!” — V.R. in Florida
Send your tips to Now Here’s a Tip, 628 Virginia Drive, Orlando, FL 32803.
(c) 2019 King Features Syndicate, Inc.