• To keep bugs off your camp table, bring four tuna- or cat-food cans that are clean. Set each table leg into a can and fill halfway with water.
• “It’s about time to store my calf boots, as spring is warming things up. I don’t want them to fall over, causing creases that can stress the fabric and create tears or otherwise ruin decent boots. So, I tape together two or three paper towel cores and set the whole thing down inside my winter boots to help them stay upright in storage.” — R.F. in Missouri
• Stuff wet shoes with newspaper to absorb the moisture. It not only cuts down on drying time, but helps absorb odors too.
• Did you know that popcorn has a lot of insoluble fiber, which makes it a good snack if you’re suffering from constipation. One caveat, though. Make sure you drink plenty of clear fluids, and don’t add extra salt!
• If you have trouble poaching eggs, add a bit of white vinegar to the boil water. The acidic additive will help the eggs set and retain their shape. Also, add the egg slowly — don’t just plop it in the water.
• “Condiment squeeze containers are great for lots of other things, like paints, cooking oil and even frosting. The squirt tip allows a little more precision for decorating, but you don’t want your sweet stuff to taste savory with the leftover mustard. Clean out the container well with soap and water. Add a couple of teaspoons of baking soda and some warm water. Let sit overnight and then rinse well. Allow to air dry before filling.” — T.I. in Washington
Send your tips to Now Here’s a Tip, 628 Virginia Drive, Orlando, FL 32803.
(c) 2019 King Features Syndicate, Inc.