• Mirrors make a room feel larger, because they reflect space, essentially doubling the visual area. But for maximum impact, experts say to hang your mirror on the wall adjacent to your window, not across from it.
• Lunchbox season is here, finally. If you have an issue with odors remaining in your plastic food containers, here’s a fix from B.P. in Alabama: “Fill container with hot water, and add a teaspoon of baking soda. This should remove smells. Let sit overnight if necessary.”
• Here’s a way to remove stickers, especially ones that don’t tear off. Rub labels with straight white vinegar or soak a paper napkin with vinegar and lay it over the label. Let it sit for 10 minutes, then remove. You should be able to rub the adhesive right off. Reapply if necessary.
• Whether you recycle because of global warming, landfill overload or environmental issues, the planet thanks you. But remember that recycling is only one part of going green. “Reduce” and “re-use” are just as important. Choose products with less packaging. Have small appliances fixed instead of automatically replacing them. And keep recycling.
• Clean your coffeemaker this way: Fill your coffeepot with equal parts water and vinegar. Add to machine and run as normal. Halfway through the cycle, turn the pot off and let the heated mixture sit for an hour or more. Complete the cycle, and run another pot or two of plain water through to rinse.
• If you kids have gone wild with new school supplies, here’s a tip from A.M. in Indiana to erase crayon marks from painted walls: “Make a paste of equal parts baking soda and water, and apply to the area. Then let it dry and wipe away.” This works best on a white or very light wall, as dark colors may lose some color. Also, wipe gently, as baking soda is a mild abrasive.
Send your tips to Now Here’s a Tip, 628 Virginia Drive, Orlando, FL 32803.
(c) 2019 King Features Syndicate, Inc.