• What’s on sale in November? Try for good deals on shoes, boys clothing, blankets and pre-Christmas sales. They start earlier and earlier each year. Also, look for deals on cooking and serving pieces just before and after Thanksgiving.
• Clean your coffee carafe regularly by scrubbing with soap and water. Run a descaler or a mix of vinegar and water through the brewer to clean out the reserve tank. Follow with a plain water rinse.
• Need an egg substitute in a pinch? Mix a teaspoon of vinegar with a teaspoon of cornstarch. Making a recipe with rise? You could also use baking soda in place of the cornstarch.
• Use aluminum foil on the back side of your radiator coils to reflect heat back into the room. One easy way to do this is to measure a piece of cardboard to fit the space behind the radiator. Then wrap the cardboard with aluminum foil and place behind the coils.
• “Great gravy is only a plastic bag away! This is my great tip for separating the fat from pan drippings to make gravy. I take a quart-size plastic bag and set it in a glass measuring cup. Pour the pan drippings through a strainer, right into the bag. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes, and the fat will separate to the top. Seal the bag, and snip a small hole in a bottom corner, drain the liquid into a saucepan to make gravy. It’s that easy.” — T.C. in Idaho
• Give your loose tea a boost of flavor by adding a dried orange or lemon peel to the tea tin. It will impart a delightful citrus flavor the longer it’s in the tin.
Send your tips to Now Here’s a Tip, 628 Virginia Drive, Orlando, FL 32803.
(c) 2019 King Features Syndicate, Inc.