• “Cabbage leaves go limp in freezer, making them easier to roll. This is especially helpful if you are making a big batch of cabbage rolls!” — V.W. in California
• Clean and decorate a Pringles chip can to store a collection of colored pencils. Keep the lid on for portability. You can even roll up some plain paper to store inside for an on-the-go drawing kit.
• Need to heat up two plates of leftovers? Form the food into a ring (which is better for even heating anyway), then set a microwave safe glass or mug on the center of the plate. Set the second plate of leftovers on top.
• If you can’t paint your dorm or rental apartment walls, here’s some ways to dress up your decor: Try removable stickers from home decor stores or online. Also you can hang a tapestry. It doesn’t have to be elaborate, and if the material is light enough, you can use removable hooks, like Command strips. Or, try creating a pattern with washi tape, which also is removable.
• “If you thread a Slinkytype toy onto the pole of your bird feeder, the squirrels can’t get to it. You can usually find these at the dollar store in a plastic version, too.” — C.D. in Ohio
• Common substitutions: Recipe call for buttermilk? Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice per cup of milk.
(c) 2019 King Features Syndicate, Inc.