• “I bought a mesh laundry bag at the dollar store and hang it from a hook in the closet where I keep my hamper. Socks go in the bag. When I’m ready to do laundry, I tie a knot in the bag and toss it in. Socks stay together.” — T.O. in California
• Last bowl’s worth of cereal? If you don’t like the cascade of bits and dust at the bottom of the bag, simply empty the contents into a colander before you put it in the bowl.
• “Our neighbor’s dog kept getting into the trash while they were out. They bought a crate, but he barked too much when he was in it. They saw online where someone put their trash can in a dog crate and let the dog have the run of the house. He tried it, and it only took a couple of weeks before they were able to stop using the crate entirely. Mr. Dog doesn’t mess with the trash anymore.” — C.M. in Virginia
• Break in new shoes with a thick pair of wool socks. Wear the socks with the new shoes around the house while tidying up.
• “My dad keeps a pants hanger in the bathtub to hang up the small nonstick mat that he keeps in there. He says if he hangs it, it doesn’t get mildew on the bottom around the suction cups.” — T.K. in Missouri
• Common substitutions: Recipe call for semisweet chocolate? Per ounce, use one square (1 ounce) of unsweetened chocolate and add 4 teaspoons of sugar.
Send your tips to Now Here’s a Tip, 628 Virginia Drive, Orlando, FL 32803.
(c) 2019 King Features Synd.