• Most people wash their sheets, and some people fluff and air out their pillow. But how many properly clean their mattress? Vacuum the mattress surface at least every three months. Sprinkle with baking soda to absorb any odors.
• “I use my panini press to make hash browns because I like them nice and crispy on both sides. It works out great!” — L.R. in Florida
• If you’re adding fruit to muffins or quick breads, just make sure you toss them in flour first. It will keep them from sinking to the bottom, distributing them more evenly throughout the bread.
• Need more storage in a small bathroom? Try installing a shelf over the door. It’s an out of the way area where you can store items you don’t need daily, but do need accessible.
• Use a serrated knife to cut the dome tops off of cake layers, then put them in the freezer for 30 minutes. It will make it easier to frost, and you’ll get less crumbs that come up.
• “I often get up during the night to take medicine to help me sleep better. It’s hard to see and line up the marks to open the container. So I got a permanent black marker and highlighted them (I even made them larger). Now it’s easy to line them up in the dark.” — D.E. in California
Send your tips to Now Here’s a Tip, 628 Virginia Drive, Orlando, FL 32803.
(c) 2020 King Features Syndicate, Inc.