• Here’s a great tip when making creme brulee: Make sure you use a wide, shallow dish. The size is important, because if it’s too deep, the center won’t set, and if it’s too small you won’t get that great cracking top!
• “Have long nails? Stuff a piece of a cotton ball in the fingertip of your gloves to keep your nail from piercing the gloves. Just a tip for staying safe and germ-free.” — I.R. in Georgia
• If you have a screw that is stuck, try giving it a blast with a hair dryer. The heat can sometimes help to loosen it up.
• Beginning sewers can practice on a piece of Styrofoam from a meat tray (clean) or a takeout container. You can find large plastic needles at a craft store.
• “If you want to remove fat from your broth, simply set a bowl filled with the broth in the fridge for a few hours. As the liquid cools, the fat will separate to the top and harden, making it easy to scrape off.” — W.L. in Minnesota
• “To whiten my yellowed tablecloth and napkins, I sliced several lemons and put them in a big pot of boiling water. I removed the water from the stove and soaked the cloths. After the water cooled, I rinsed them and hung them to dry in the sun. They are like new.” — A.C. in Missouri
Send your tips to Now Here’s a Tip, 628 Virginia Drive, Orlando, FL 32803.
(c) 2020 King Features Syndicate, Inc.