• Fill a 2-liter soda bottle with water, then plunge the top upside down into a potted plant for self-watering while you are on vacation. Use smaller bottles for smaller pots.
• Going to the beach for your vacation? Here’s a handy hint to take great care of your swimsuit. (They get more expensive all the time!) Pack at least two suits and bring a box of baking soda. Soak the suit for 15 minutes in a baking soda and water solution, then lay flat on a towel. Roll the towel up and wring lightly. Unroll and hang to dry. Rotate suits. — JoAnn
• Help for a sunburn: Take two nonsteroidal antiinflammatories (aspirin, ibuprofen) right away. Soak a cloth in cold milk and drape over the burn until it warms to room temperature. Repeat if necessary and apply a light moisturizer.
• Use your Christmas light timers to set different lights to go on or off at certain times of the day while you are away on vacation. You can even use a timer on a radio, so it comes on sometimes too. The variation will make people think you are home.
• To ease the ache of a brain freeze, simply cup your hands over your mouth and nose. Blow out hot air, and it will recirculate to warm your palate in seconds. Works like a charm.
• Always keep a couple bottles of water and a roll of duct tape in your trunk. You never know when you’ll need these items, and they seem to be pretty handy when traveling.
Send your tips to Now Here’s a Tip, 628 Virginia Drive, Orlando, FL 32803.
(c) 2021 King Features