• “To keep a pet from chewing on an electrical cord, rub the length of the cord lightly with a bar of soap. One taste is enough to keep most pets from coming back. It’s not foolproof, so please still keep an eye on your pets!” — B.L. in Mississippi
• “Rake fingernails over a bar of soap to keep dirt out from nails while gardening. This has been repeated several times, but it’s so handy and works so well, it’s worth it.” — O.E. in South Carolina
• Deep conditioning your hair at home can be done inexpensively. Chill a can of coconut milk so it solidifies, then rub the “grease” into your hair, avoiding the direct scalp. Leave it on for half an hour and rinse out with warm water.
• “Instead of using creamer in my iced coff ee drinks, I use a powdered protein that I purchase at the vitamin store. It adds a creamy quality and a little extra nutrition.” — C.D. in Florida
• An old piece of wisdom that’s worth repeating for the picnic season: Keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold. Take along several kitchen timers set for 1 hour. Check food to make sure it is maintaining its temperature.
• Quickie window cleanup: Dump a whole bottle of club soda on windshield. Give it a minute, then wipe with a soft cloth or newspaper for a crystal-clear view.
• • •
Send your tips to Now Here’s a Tip, c/o King Features Weekly Service, P.O. Box 536475, Orlando, FL 32853-6475 or e-mail JoAnn at heresatip@yahoo. com.
(c) 2010 King Features Synd.