• Coffee filters make wonderful glass cleaners. They leave behind no streaks and no residual lint.
• “ Beautiful umbrella stands don’t have to be limited to umbrellas. We keep sports equipment (bats, a lacrosse stick, yoga mat) in ours, and it works just as well.” — T.J. in Kansas
• Stuck zippers can be loosened with graphite powder, or simply by tracing a pencil lead over the zipper.
• Make your own camping lamp: Strap a headlamp to a full gallon jug of water. It fills the tent with a soft light, and you can still drink the water!
• Use rubbing alcohol to clean window frames. It evaporates quickly with no residue left behind.
• If you have a retractable cord on your vacuum, try this trick. Clip a clothespin at the optimum length, and the cord will not retract past that point. So, no more snapping right out of the outlet, which used to happen to me. — P.L. in Tennessee
• Old socks can be fitted around the head of an old mop or Swiffer base. Spray with cleaner and clean away. When you are done, remove the sock and launder.
(c) 2014 King Features Sydicate, Inc.