Whitesburg KY

On the move? Make sure that your mail keeps up with you!

Few things are more difficult than moving – finding a new home, packing up your belongings, transporting them to your new home, unpacking, putting everything where it belongs, and settling in. Last year, 45 million people changed their addresses. It can be exhausting to just think about it!

Moving may be hard, but making sure your mail keeps up with you is simple, easy and convenient, with the help of the U.S. Postal Service. The fastest, easiest, and most convenient way to change your address with the Postal Service is with MoversGuide online, available on the Postal Service web site, www.usps.com. More than six million people have used this Internet portal to file a change of address since it came online in 2002.

To use MoversGuide online, you need an e-mail address and, to prevent fraud, the Postal Service charges a $1 fee via credit card to verify identities. You also can print out forms online, mail them in without cost, leave them for your regular letter carrier, or drop them off at your local post office. Just go to www.usps.com/ moversguide.

The MoversGuide booklet, available from your letter carrier or at your local post office, has everything you need to make your move a success. In it, you will find:

+ PS Form 3575, Change of Address Order, to file your address change with the Postal Service.

+ Additional forms to notify publications to which you subscribe.

+ Helpful moving tips. + Discounts for moving-related products and services.

+ Answers to the most commonly asked questions about permanent and temporary forwarding of mail.

To ensure uninterrupted service, please notify your post office of your change of address at least 30 days before you move. PS Form 3575 will ask for the effective date of the move, whether the move involves one or more individuals or the entire family, and whether the move is temporary or permanent. Be sure to use your complete new address, including the correct street name, suffix (St., Ave., Rd., etc.), and directional (N, E, SW, etc.); apartment number, rural route number, or post office box number and ZIP Code.

The Postal Service forwards your Express Mail, Priority Mail, and First-Class Mail for one year at no extra charge. It also forwards magazines and newspapers for 60 days from the effective date of your change-of-address order at no charge. Normally your magazines will not need to be forwarded for longer than 60 days, because publishers get your new address from the Postal Service. However, it makes sense to notify the publications directly, using the extra forms in the MoversGuide, so you don’t miss a single issue.

Forwarding of advertising mail varies greatly, depending on the level of service guaranteed by the sender. Contact your post office for more information about forwarding this category of mail.

The Postal Service will do everything possible to provide you with efficient, uninterrupted mail service when you move. Help us. Make sure you fill out and submit the necessary forms at least 30 days in advance, so your mail moves with you to your new home!

Leave a Reply