Whitesburg KY
Mostly cloudy
Mostly cloudy

Questions about disability

Question: My brother has become very ill and I am helping him get the information and documents needed to apply for Social Security disability benefits. Will Social Security accept photocopies instead of original documents as evidence when he applies for benefits?

Answer: Social Security will accept photocopies of W- 2 forms, self-employment tax returns or medical documents, but must see the originals of almost all other documents. If all needed documents are not available, do not delay filing for benefits. Social Security will work with your brother to help get them. For more information, visit the Social Security website at www.socialsecurity.gov/disability. Check out the Disability Starter Kit – the perfect place to start getting ready to apply. Or call Social Security’s toll-free number at 1-800-772- 1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) and ask for the publication, Disability Benefits as well as our Disability Starter Kit.

Leave a Reply