A Relay for Life event in Letcher County to benefit the American Cancer Society will be held Saturday, June 6, at River Park in Whitesburg.
Money is raised during the year through various fundraisers.
All those who raised funds will gather at River Park Saturday to raise cancer awareness, celebrate cancer survivors and remember those who have died from cancer.
People set up tents along the track and participate in different activities throughout the event.
In 1985, Gordon Klatt, a colorectal surgeon from Tacoma, Wash., walked around a track at the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma for 24 hours to raise money for the American Cancer Society in honor of his patients. Klatt raised $27,000 by walking about 83 miles with people paying $25 to walk with him.
In 1986, Klatt organized a small team of people to walk with him in what was the first Relay for Life event. Now millions of people participate in Relay for Life events in more than 5,000 communities nationwide.
The schedule of events is as follows:
• 12 p.m. welcome
• 12:30 p.m. survivor, caregiver and team recognition
• 1 p.m. Tim Baker singing
• 1:30 p.m. team roll call and team photos
• 2 p.m. Beau Hatton singing
• 2:30 p.m. cupcake wars
• 3 p.m. frozen T-shirt contest
• 3:30 p.m. Taylyn Combs singing
• 4 p.m. WWES dancers and Silver Spinners
• 4:30 p.m. scavenger hunt
• 5 p.m. poker laps and eating contest
• 5:30 p.m. evening survivor, caregiver and team recognition
• 6 p.m. Golden Girl pageant
• 7 pm. auction and raffles
• 8:30 p.m. Paul Brandon Fields singing
• 9 p.m. luminaria ceremony
• 9:30 p.m. sky lantern ceremony
• 10 p.m. 1980’s trivia
• 10:30 p.m. stocking tug of war
• 11 p.m. 1980’s block party
• 11:30 p.m. closing ceremony