Whitesburg KY

Reporting a stolen Social Security card

Question: My wallet was stolen with my Social Security card in it. How do I report my card stolen?

Answer: We urge you never to carry your card with you. In most cases, the only time you will need to produce your card is when you apply for employment. Always keep your Social Security card in a safe place with your other important papers. You can apply for a replacement Social Security card if your card is stolen. You may also want to report it to the Federal Trade Commission at www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/ microsites/idtheft or 1-800-877- IDTHEFT (TTY 1-866-653- 4261). And you may want to monitor your credit report at www.annualcreditreport.com. For more information about identity theft, visit www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/ 10064.html or call toll-free at 1- 800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325- 0778).

Leave a Reply