Whitesburg KY
Mostly sunny
Mostly sunny

Robert Hall hospitalized after accident

Hello everyone!

Once again I will ask how is everything in your corner of this world. If you can say great — well savor that thought because in an instant it can change!

Aug. 21, as I was getting ready to walk out my door, my brother Richie Hall called to say he and Wanda were heading to Huntington, W.Va. I wasn’t prepared for the reason of this sudden trip! Our younger brother Robert Hall had been involved in a serious accident in the Dorton area, and was airlifted to a trauma center in Huntington.

I had obligations that I had to fulfill, so I couldn’t leave. I got on the computer and found out the name, address, and phone number of the hospital, Cabell Trauma Center, and I will say one thing, everyone I talked to from the emergency room nurse to his personal nurse was excellent in keeping me informed on Robert’s condition.

When Richie and Wanda got to the hospital, he was stunned at the information desk as he was told there was no Robert Hall there. When I called the hospital I got someone who told me they had no Robert Hall. I went through a few minutes of torture while trying to tell then he was in surgical ICU. Finally someone said they had a Billy Hall. I told the woman that a nurse and I had corresponded three different times asking for Robert Hall and was told of his condition. Finally someone asked me how old he was.

Lucky I know his birthday. Somehow they had him listed as Billy Hall, yet three nurses were giving me information on Robert Hall! Meanwhile, a man told Richie and Wanda they weren’t hiding him! Finally Richie and Wanda were told he was there under a diff erent name! Someone had got the name wrong.

A nightmare that didn’t have to happen. Robert is still in the hospital and is in serious condition, though he is improving as they took him off the ventilator. We still don’t know the extent of his injury as of this writing.

Robert is very lucky to be alive as his car was hit, and the impact spun his car around and it was hit the second time. He was thrown out of his car into the highway!

Robert had his wallet in the car, or it was thrown out of his pocket, and someone stole it! I understand he only had a few dollars, but he had his driver’s license and pictures.

I hope the vulture who got it enjoys the pain and aggravation that will cause Robert, as he has to replace the important things. Maybe he had enough money to buy you a pill or two? On the other hand, maybe someone will have enough decency to return the pictures and other personal items!

My friend Sue Courtney and I went to visit Robert. He is so heavily sedated he doesn’t know anyone is there. I am still having some problems and didn’t want to drive that far again by myself.

Somehow Sue and I missed a turnoff and I did my usually trick driving too far. Let’s say about two hours too far, but we finally made it to Huntington with a lot of laughter along the way. Sue asked me if I was nervous because I got to giggling. I said no, I may as well laugh as to cry. There was nothing to do but enjoy the scenery on the way, and actually it was a beautiful day and a nice drive, not too hot and no rain.

On our return trip Sue wanted ice cream. When we walked into the place the smell was overwhelming. I actually felt queasy, and then as I observed the prices, well, it didn’t get better. Let’s just say this was a once in a lifetime experience for me!

I thought we were in a recession, but it seems this novelty ice cream store does a thriving business. I can’t tolerate milk products very well, but it was a fun time for a very stressful day.

Sue had been to Huntington before; this was my first trip. The drive is nice, as I said, as long as you don’t go out of your way, although even that was nice.

Thanks everyone for your prayers and concern about Robert. We did spend a little time with Robert’s wife, Ann, and her daughter and baby.

I talked to Betty Ison, and it seems she and her husband Doyle Ison are doing all right. Betty took a short trip to Florence Mall with her grandson and his girlfriend, which she enjoyed very much.

Ann and Johnny Calihan were doing all right when I talked to her a few minutes.

Gwen Huff Farmer has finished with her garden and got everything put away at last, though she is still putting away pears and apples.

Gwen’s son John and his family came for a visit along with a friend of John’s. They didn’t make it for Gwen’s birthday, so John and his family took Gwen out to eat two diff erent times. I do believe they are spoiling Gwen.

I haven’t been on the computer much, so I haven’t talked to my friend Shirley Wells.

I have considered giving up writing this column for a while.

It seems my heart isn’t in it lately, and it is very difficult at times to write. My sweet friend Willamae Boggs knew of personal things I was going through, and I can hear ask me as she did so often, “Rose honey, how do you do it?”

I drove to Pikeville to see Willamae a couple of days before she died, with scolding from her husband Carl Boggs because I drove all that distance and back to Harrison, by myself.

I am thankful I did go. I had the pleasure of meeting Carl’s brother Fred Boggs Jr., and his wife Joyce, along with Carl’s sister Bonnie and her husband, Marshall Roark.

Marshall said he remembered me from Kingdom Come High School and from Roxana. There were things I would have asked Marshall but it wasn’t the right time, nor place.

Carl, Joyce, Bonnie and the whole bunch wanted to feed me. They are typical hillbilly people. I asked them if I looked like I had missed any meals.

Now, Marshall, come to think of it, I don’t think I heard you off er! Just kidding, it really was great meeting everyone.

I went to my usual hangout, the wild place called Coon Hunters Club. Music was good, and my special musician Marvin Davis played with the first group. My foot was hurting too badly for me to dance very much, and I was tired and had too much on my mind to really enjoy myself.

I went to visit my two special friends, Chris and Juanita Lanham, who are in their 80s and early 90s .I needed a hug, so I went get one from them.

Hello to Carl Boggs’s family, everyone is still in my thoughts.

My daughter Kay Gray and her family spent a few days at their home in Destin, Fla., as they are selling their house.

My granddaughter Jodi Gray is back in school for her final year of college. She is going to be a teacher.

My daughter Anna Nottingham, along with her husband Scott, and girls Sarah, Jessica, Katelyn and Sarah’s friend enjoyed a week at Disney World.

I haven’t seen my sidekick little Bennie Wiederhold this week, and I miss him.

Hello to Wild Bill Profitt. Fayette Halcomb, if you still get The Mountain Eagle,
please come to Letcher County Day.

Keep Sept. 25 open for Letcher County Day, 300 George Street, Harrison, Ohio at 11 a.m. – ? Bring a covered dish and a drink. No alcohol please. If anyone drinks, it may be me. Just joking!

Well I am going to get this on the way to its destination. Until next time, Rose Ballard, 9110 Lawrenceburg Road, Harrison, Ohio 45030, email: Bluegrassmama4@aol.com, telephone: 513-367-4682.

Leave a Reply