Nine Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College faculty members have been awarded enhancement mini-grants for 2013. The winners of the awards, which totaled $23,246, were chosen by a committee of division chairmen. The grants are unrestricted gifts from donors.
The school has campuses in Whitesburg and Cumberland. Faculty members receiving grants are:
• Ann Schertz, $1,815 for classroom technology to bring live and recorded Web resources to music education courses.
• Elana Scopa, $2,651 for replacement of hotplates for chemistry, physics and biology labs.
• Scelinda Webb, $2,998 for research project for microbiology students in partnership with the U.S. Department of Wildlife and the Army Corps of Engineers.
• Joseph Johnson, $2,741 for purchase of equipment for a physics lab for students to perform thermodynamics and magnetism experiments
• Wendy Wright, $2,000 for the purchase of a Laerdal Airway Management Trainer for respiratory care students.
• Paula Whited, $2,800 for the replacement of an electric hospital bed for nurse aide training
• James Miller, $2,929 for teaching equipment for electricity/electronic classes.
• Tracy Bowling, $2,997 for the purchase of a Hoyer lift for the physical therapist assistant program.
• Astor Halcomb, $2,315 for audio/visual aids for the radiography program.