Whitesburg KY
Partly cloudy
Partly cloudy

Social Security travels too

Have you ever considered a visit abroad? Or maybe you’re planning to live overseas for an extended period of time. Whether you’re outside the country for a week or a decade, you may be unaware of how to reach Social Security in the event that you need to conduct business with us while you’re away. Fortunately, in most corners of the world you can get help from a federal benefit officer or other trained personnel.

The Department of State embassies and American consulates abroad have personnel who are specially trained to provide a full range of Social Security services, including taking applications for all types of benefits, processing applications for new or replacement Social Security cards, and an array of other Social Security business.

Americans in American Samoa, British Virgin Islands, Canada, and Puerto Rico may obtain services directly from Social Security field offices located there. In other territories or countries, contact your local embassy or consulate to find out which office to visit for your Social Security needs.

But before visiting or moving abroad, remember that the most convenient office may be in your own home. Social Security’s website is a valuable resource for information. There are a number of services and forms off ered to people living outside the United States on our international operations site. You can find it at www.socialsecurity.gov/foreign. While you’re online, you can read more about our international services. Another helpful reference on moving out of the country is the online publication Your Payments While You Are Outside the United States, which is available at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10137.html.

You also may want to visit our International Programs website, where you can learn about International Agreements between Social Security systems, payments while you are outside the United States, and the Social Security systems of other nations. Just visit www.socialsecurity.gov/international.

If you don’t have a computer or prefer to do business over the phone, you’re always welcome to call Social Security at 1-800-772- 1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). If you are in a foreign country, you will need to pay for the call because we do not off er toll-free service for calls from outside the U.S. If you call, please do so during normal business hours for the U.S. Eastern Standard time.

Fortunately, in most corners of the world you can get help from a federal benefi t officer or other specially trained personnel. If you’re leaving the United States for any period of time, don’t think you’ll have to leave Social Security behind too. Social Security will travel with you.

Leave a Reply