Whitesburg KY

Sometimes life just seems to take over

Blair Branch

I want to apologize for the absence of my column last week. As it so very well can and often does, life took over. I just didn’t have a chance to sit down and write anything. So, if you can, forgive me?

Opal had been in the hospital with chest pains. I’d smashed Michael’s finger in the car door and he spent about eight hours in the ER, and the boys and I had strep. It’s just been one of those weeks.

We are all on the uphill now. The boys and I have recovered, Michael’s finger is healing up, and Opal is doing some better too.

I hope that everyone had a safe, healthy and happy Thanksgiving. Did you take time to write down what you are thankful for? I sure did! It is becoming a tradition of mine. It is nice to look back and see what you were thankful for the year before.

We had dinner with Michael’s family in Busy, on Thursday. Then Saturday, we had our dinner at Mom and Dad’s house. It was wonderful to see all the family again. We all ate too much, that is for sure!

How many of you were brave enough to go out shopping Friday morning? Michael and I were at the Hazard Walmart at 4 a.m. Talk about a madhouse! We had fun, got the deals we wanted, spent too much money, and hopefully burned a few of those extra calories we consumed on Thursday while doing all of that speed shopping.

While I am thinking of it, I would like to thank Arizona and Adams for bringing Mom and Grandma each a peanut butter pie a few weeks back. That was so nice of you two. I have meant to mention it for a while, but as hard as I try, I always tend to forget something I wanted to add.

Mom (Sylvania Whitaker) has been doing better this week, and was able to go to church the past two weekends. I am sure thankful for that. She had been having a lot of pain, and wasn’t able to lie down in the bed and rest.

Opal visited Jake and Wilma Halcomb. They are both doing well and she said they seemed to be real happy living with their daughter, Renee, and her family.

Jake has a new scooter and has been able to get out and about. He went to church with his son-in-law, Chris.

Mom was telling me that Roy Dixon is in the hospital. I hope that he recovers quickly and is able to come home soon. Keep him and his wife Lena in your prayers.

My great-aunt Sylvania ‘Sylvia’ (Halcomb) Lucas, of Tiffin, Oh., died Nov. 17 at the age 85. Sylvia was born Sept. 15, 1924, in Whitesburg, to the late John and Rebecca (Shepherd) Halcomb. She married Estis Lucas ‘Luke’ on July 31, 1954, and he preceded her in death in 2006. She is survived by three brothers, James ‘Jake’ (Wilma) Halcomb of Carcassonne; Joe Halcomb and friend Millie, as well as Fred (Doris) Halcomb both of Tiffin, Oh., and a sister, Lucy Blair of Jeremiah.

She is also survived by many nieces and nephews. Sylvia was such a special person to me. She was so kind and caring. She will definitely be missed.

I sure hated to hear that Truman Blair died. He will be missed at all the family get-togethers and reunions. He loved to play ‘washers’ and was really good at it too. Keep his family in your prayers as well. It is hard to lose a loved one.

I would like to wish a very happy birthday to my wonderful Grandma Lucy (Halcomb) Blair. She celebrated her 88th birthday on Nov. 30. Her son, Billy Gene Blair, celebrated his birthday on that same day. May your birthdays be filled with love and laughter.

If I have left anyone or anything out, just let me know and I will get you next week. I hope everyone has a healthy and happy week. If you would like to contact me, you may do so at alanacouch@tvscable.com.

Leave a Reply