Whitesburg KY

State offers student aid programs

Kentucky students who attend a college or technical school in state may qualify for financial aid programs administered by the Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority (KHEAA).

Kentucky’s need-based programs include the College Access Program (CAP) Grant and Kentucky Tuition Grant (KTG). CAP grants may be used at all of Kentucky’s public and private colleges. KTG awards may be used at Kentucky’s private colleges. Students may apply for the CAP and KTG programs by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA, online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.

Perhaps the best known program is the merit-based Kentucky Educational Excellence Scholarship (KEES). Students attending certified Kentucky high schools earn college scholarships based on their yearly grade point average and their best ACT score. High school students who qualify for the free or reducedprice lunch program may also earn additional KEES money by scoring well on Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate exams. Home school and GED graduates may earn KEES awards based on their ACT score.

Students do not need to apply for a KEES award. If they attend a participating Kentucky college, KHEAA will automatically send the scholarship money to the college after the school reports that the student is attending classes.

KEES, CAP and KTG are funded by Kentucky Lottery revenues.

KHEAA also administers the Osteopathic Medicine

Scholarship and Early Childhood Development Scholarship. Students may apply online for these scholarships through Zip Access.

To find links to other education websites, go to www.gotocollege. ky. gov. For more information about Kentucky scholarships and grants, visit www.kheaa.com; write KHEAA, P.O. Box 798, Frankfort, KY 40602- 0798; or call (800) 928-8926, ext. 6-7372.

Leave a Reply