• It was French author, philosopher and journalist Albert Camus who made the following sage observation: “Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.”
• Famously flamboyant country singer and songwriter Dolly Parton once entered a Dolly Parton look-alike contest — and she lost.
• If you’re a sailor you’re probably familiar with the hazards of being out on the water: high seas, storms, hidden reefs. You probably wouldn’t count whales among the dangers, but you’d be wrong. In 2010, on a day sail out of Table Bay Harbor in South Africa, a couple on a 30-foot sailboat were whale-watching when one got too close for comfort. A 40-ton whale they had been viewing breached right next to the boat and landed on the deck, breaking off the mast and then thrashing around before sliding back into the water. The whale lost some skin and blubber, but was otherwise unharmed; the couple were lucky to still have a seaworthy craft and made it safely back to the harbor.
• Married women aren’t likely to be surprised by the following tidbit of information: Studies show that women with husbands typically do 30 percent more housework than single women do.
• If you’re heading to the state of Washington with mischief on your mind, you’ll need to keep in mind this state law: “A motorist with criminal intentions [must] stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he [or she] is entering the town.” I bet that one has been really effective in stopping crime.
• It’s been reported that singer Sting doesn’t use deodorant. In fact, after interviewing him for a concert once, the journalists nicknamed him “Stink.” (c) 2018 King Features