• It was Democratic governor and presidential hopeful Adlai Stevenson who made the following sage observation: “A free society is a place where it’s safe to be unpopular.”
• Statistics show that for every 71,000 skydiving jumps made, there is only one fatality. That might not seem surprising until you put it in context: You have a one in 20,000 chance of dying from a regular fall right here on solid ground.
• A.A. Milne, the British author best known for his children’s books about Winnie the Pooh, had a teacher and mentor you might not expect: H.G. Wells, one of the acknowledged fathers of science fiction and author of such novels as “The War of the Worlds,” “The Invisible Man” and “The Island of Dr. Moreau.”
• Here’s a smart idea: Some fitness centers are now using the energy clients expend on its exercise bikes to help power the building’s lighting.
• If you drive a white automobile, you have a lot of company. There are more white cars in the United States than any other color. (c) 2018 King Features