• It was Academy Awardnominated actress and comedian Lily Tomlin who made the following observation: “Ninety-eight percent of the adults in this country are decent, hard-working, honest Americans. It’s the other lousy 2 percent that get all the publicity. But then – we elected them.”
• During Elizabethan times, it was customary in England for a wife to wear her wedding ring on her thumb.
• Have you ever heard of Jasper Daniel? Probably not by that name – he’s better known today as Jack Daniel, thanks to the whiskey that bears his name. He was the youngest of 10 kids, which may explain a lot: Being picked on by nine older siblings could drive anyone to drink.
• Those who study such things say that people during the Stone Age used shells and even shark teeth to shave.
• Other than the fact that they’re all performers, what do Darryl Hannah, Telly Savales, James Doohan and Jerry Garcia have in common? They are (or were) missing one finger.
• In ancient Greece, honey was often used to embalm corpses.
(c) 08 King Features Synd., Inc.