• Adult mayflies have no functional mouth. Because of this, they die of malnutrition. This is an evolutionary occurrence that happens so aging mayflies don’t pass on genetic defects to the next generation.
• Steven Spielberg, who executive-produced the film “Gremlins,” requested the effects team make Gizmo’s fur orange and white to match his beagle, Chauncey.
• If you do a Google search on the word “askew,” the resulting content will tilt slightly to the right.
• St. Lucia is the only country in the world named after a woman. Originally called the Island of the Iguanas by early Carib settlers, the name was later changed after French seamen were shipwrecked there on Dec. 13, the feast day of St. Lucy.
• The color of Facebook is blue because Mark Zuckerberg is red-green colorblind.
• Ever noticed how some mass-produced ballpoint pens, such as the Bic Cristal, have a hole in the cap? No? Well, in case you someday do, now you’ll know why — it’s not just to prevent leaks, but choking as well. Lots of folks like to chew on pen lids, and in the event they accidentally swallow the cap, the hole ensures it won’t completely block their airway.
• After an 8.0 magnitude earthquake hit Mexico City in 1985, nearly all newborn babies survived a collapsed hospital for seven days without nourishment, water, warmth or human contact.
• Major League Baseball umpires are required to wear black underwear while on the job in case they split their pants.
• • •
Thought for the Day: “Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if they were going to be dead by midnight. Extend to them all the care, kindness and understanding you can muster, and do it with no thought of any reward. Your life will never be the same again.” — Og Mandino
(c) 2020 King Features Syndicate, Inc.