• Autism is more common than childhood cancer, diabetes and AIDS combined.
• A bizarre dream in which cannibals surrounded him and prepared to cook him as they waved spears helped inspire Elias Howe’s invention of the sewing machine. When he awoke, he remembered that the spears had holes in their shafts and moved up and down.
• “Bhang lassi” is an Indian milkshake whose main ingredient is marijuana.
• According to British law, any unclaimed swan swimming in the open waters of England and Wales belongs to the queen. The law originated in medieval times when swans were a delicacy for the wealthy.
• “Gingerphobia” is a fear of redheads.
• The Russians arrived 12 days late to the 1908 Olympics because they were using the wrong (i.e., Julian) calendar.
• In 1995 a woman in Sweden lost her wedding ring while cooking for Christmas. Understandably distraught, she looked everywhere for it and even pulled up her kitchen floor, but didn’t see it again until 16 years later, when, while gardening, she discovered it encircling a carrot that had sprouted in the middle of it.
• The amount of copper on the Arizona capitol building roof is equivalent to nearly 5 million pennies.
(c) 2021 King Features