• It was American astronaut Buzz Aldrin, the second man to set foot on the moon, who made the following declaration: “I believe that every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don’t intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.”
• If you’re like the average American, you will spend approximately 8,760 hours of your life — that’s one full year — just watching commercials on TV.
• Talk about bad luck: A 26-year-old man was walking down a street in the town of Windhoek, Namibia, when he was struck by lightning. As if that weren’t bad enough, the bolt of lightning caused him to fall into the street, where he was struck by a car. The poor man didn’t survive, though it’s not clear which stroke of bad luck dealt the fatal blow.
• You may be surprised to learn that the first Caesar salad was actually created in Tijuana, Mexico.
• Every seed you find inside an apple has a genetically different makeup from every other seed inside the same apple.
• According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word that has the largest number of different meanings is “set” — it takes 26 pages to detail them all.
• According to the record-keepers at Guinness, Robert Ardito holds the world record for the most punches thrown in one minute: 702.
• In Pennsylvania, a man was stunned when he returned home one day to find a deer taking a bubble bath. It seems that the unfortunate animal had stumbled into the house and in its frenzy to find a way out again, ended up in the bathroom, where its antics accidentally turned on the water and knocked over a bottle of bubble bath.
• • •
Thought for the Day: “Politeness is the art of choosing among your thoughts.” — Madame de Stael
(c) 2009 King Features