• It was British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli who made the following observation: “My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me.”
• Hunters, take note: The largest deer that ever lived was the Irish elk, which became extinct more than 7,000 years ago. Though it stood a remarkable 7 feet tall at the shoulders, the creature’s most amazing characteristic was its antlers, which could stretch 12 feet from tip to tip and weigh up to 90 pounds. Imagine that rack hanging on your living-room wall!
• If you are a parent, you probably won’t be surprised to learn that among the under-18 crowd, strawberries are the favorite fruit, followed closely by grapes and bananas.
• Google Earth, the virtual geographic information program, isn’t just a fun thing to fiddle with on your computer; it can be a lawenforcement tool, too. Just last year, police in Switzerland noticed a cornfield that looked a bit odd; it turns out that the farmer was raising marijuana and had hidden the two-acre plot within his corn fields.
• The koala bear, that cute and cuddly icon of Down Under, never drinks water. The critters get all the water they need from the food they eat.
• Medical experts say that coconut water has the same pH and electrolyte balance as human blood. In fact, during World War II, doctors who were running low on supplies used coconut water in plasma transfusions.
• In 2002, in an effort to be more environmentally friendly, Ireland decided to try to reduce the use of plastic grocery bags by levying a 15-cent tax on each one. It worked, too — use of the bags dropped by 95 percent.
• • •
Thought for the Day: “Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet.” — Roger Miller
(c) 2010 King Features Synd.