• You might be surprised to learn that it was theoretical physicist Albert Einstein, one of the best-known scientists of all time, who made the following sage observation: “If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.”
• On average, a man’s beard grows about a halfinch every month.
• Do you suffer from coprolalia? I would hope not! If you’re a word deconstructionist and up on your Greek, you might be able to figure out that coprolalia means an uncontrollable use of obscene language, since “copro” means “dung” and “lalia” means “chatter” or “babble.”
• Marilyn Monroe’s iconic film “Some Like It Hot” (which in 2000 was named the greatest American comedy film of all time by the American Film Institute) was originally titled “Not Tonight Josephine!”
• The next time you have jury duty and want to get out of it, you might want to keep this in mind: A judge in Liverpool, England, dismissed a man from the jury when fellow jurors complained about the fleas in his beard.
• At one time, the Catholic Church considered it sinful to eat a hot dog.
• If you’re ever visiting Egypt and asking for directions, remember that in that country, “upstream” means south.
• It’s probably fair to say that people have been enjoying mixed alcoholic beverages for hundreds of years, but the word “cocktail” wasn’t in general use until 1888, when it was printed for the first time, in a bartender’s manual.
• In Connecticut in the 17th century, it was illegal to smoke more than one cigarette a day, and that one had to be smoked at home.
• • •
Thought for the Day: “A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill.” — Robert A. Heinlein
(c) 2010 King Features Synd. up. Tim Amburgey came up and saw him. He’s a blessing to him. That’s one that you can call. I think it is a shame that the veterans have let him down. He has done a lot for a whole lot of people. I just think it is a disgrace. He has a sister who is dying from cancer.
This is a message to the rat that lives on High School: Everyone heard about you getting your jaw jacked up at the bottom of your hill. What makes it worse is you ran off crying and got your mom to fight your battles. That’s so sad. Everyone knows.
This is to the 33 year old: I am glad you are serious. I am 5-10 with blue eyes. I have one kid. How many children do you have? Tell me a little more about yourself. I’ll tell you in the paper. I like that you don’t have to take care of a man. That’s good as long as you know how to take care of man, not financially. I’d like to hear from you.
See what they are up to. Google: Bohemian Grove.
Independence Day has come and gone and patriotism was spewing from everyone’s mouths. I now want to ask everyone a question. Were your people free on July 4, 1776? Were they free after the elites here ran out the British elites? Black folks were enslaved, women had few if any rights, Native American people were resisting genocide throughout the continent, and all poor people were systematically denied any voice in the economy or the government. Whose independence was declared on that day? Whose independence was won in the war? How many of us are free today, for that matter?
I read that the people in Elkhorn weren’t supposed to let the water in Elkhorn Creek contact their skin. What about the people who do white water rafting? What about the people who drink the city water from the creeks? A friend of mine told me that you couldn’t tell how bad the water was because the Clorox odor was so strong. If you’re not supposed to touch the water, what about drinking it?
What is sad is that my friend went six years beyond high school, and has a hard time making a living. What is sad is my wife works for minimum wage and the boss has no compassion that she can’t afford a fourwheel drive to get to work on wintery days.
There is a diff erence between being against coal and for coal mine safety and health issues. How many doctors live next to a strip mine? How many politicians live next to an active strip mine? I don’t say that they should shut the mines down, but mines should be good neighbors and respect the grandchildren of the pioneers who might want to stay on their homeplace.
Let’s speak honestly. What do you think when you are looking out of the window? Is it scenic? Is it corrupted or peaceful? Tell me why not. Does it protect special interest? I want to know, as a lifelong citizen of Whitesburg. It should only support nature’s design with enjoyment. Does the top 5 percent talk about hard work? No, they are too busy delegating ‘their superiority’ over others. Let’s make a revolution. Let’s start a fight. We should take a fight, our mountains are being raped for everything. We should have a healthy environment, a music base, acceptable benefits, and an American/Alternative Environment, and health resources. Further, scenic tourism, folk art, culture, is at stake. Please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
I wonder how much the drug dealer on Camp Branch has got the law paid off . He’s been selling drugs for centuries. He’s not worked an honest day’s work in his life. Everybody knows it. He’s a piece of trash. I’d say his name, but it would not be printed. Do your job and get this drug dealer arrested.
Big deal, who cares that you got all those certificates in prison. The parole board doesn’t give a big hoot about your penny ante paperwork. The only certificates that little T.J. and Blister got was a death certificate. My, my, my how we forget. Well, I am here to remind you, young lady, that you could have stopped what happened that day, but you chose not to. And that lowlife that you claimed for a husband, I hope he rots in the very pits of hell. When you get out, do not come back to Letcher County thinking that you have accomplished some big feat by serving time in prison. You’re just as weak as Jerome. Case closed. Signed, sealed and delivered, the Kentucky Ridge runner. ‘Aryan’ white boys of eastern Kentucky. Oops.
Whatever happened to that woman who worked at the Whitesburg bank who killed her daughter? You know the one I mean, the one who gave birth to the sweet baby and then strangled it, put it in a garbage bag and threw it away like a piece of trash that was messing up her kitchen floor. I heard she got out and was having another trial, but I haven’t heard anything else. Please tell me she’s not getting away with murdering a sweet baby that anyone would have taken to raise if only she would have kept her murdering hands from around its throat.
To whom it concerns: You are hypocritical, calling people trash, sluts, etc. The Bible says, ‘But I say unto you, love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you and pray for them when despitefully use you and yours and persecute you and yours.’ You have to forgive. For if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your God forgive your trespasses. Forgive and forget. We are kicking the devil out and putting God in their soul and on their mind and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes and there shall be no more death neither sorrow nor crying, neither shall there be anymore pain for the former things are passed away. Kicking the devil out and letting God come in, forgive and forget. So hang in there and believe in you. Your God loves you and I do too.