• It was British mathematician, historian and philosopher Bertrand Russell who made the following sage observation: “If there were in the world today any large number of people who desired their own happiness more than they desired the unhappiness of others, we could have paradise in a few years.”
• Do you know why camels are artiodactyls, while humans aren’t? It’s because dromedaries have an even number of toes (two) on each foot, while we have an odd number.
• According to a poll conducted in the United Kingdom, 80 percent of male college freshmen and sophomores in that country have never done a load of laundry in their lives.
• It takes about 2.5 pounds of grapes to make a single bottle of wine.
• Ever wonder where the phrase “cool as a cucumber” came from? It’s actually an established fact that the interior of a cucumber can be up to 20 degrees cooler than the ambient air temperature surrounding it.
• • •
Thought for the Day: “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Albert Einstein
(c) 2010 King Features Synd.