• It was Kurt Vonnegut, one of the most influential American writers of the 20th century, who made the following sage observation: “Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward.”
• Snakes are sometimes born with two heads, but they don’t survive long. It seems the heads fight each other for food.
• During this season of excess, it might be worthwhile to remember that the typical holiday meal contains more than 3,000 calories. It also might be worthwhile to remember that the suggested daily intake of calories for men is 2,500; for women it’s 2,000.
• Americans’ collective annual tab for dry-cleaning services comes to approximately $8 billion.
• If you’re an arachnophobe, you might not want to read the following tidbit of information: Scientists in Madagascar recently discovered a new species of bark spider that spins webs over rivers and other bodies of water. What makes these webs noteworthy is that they are the largest ever recorded, measuring up to 82 feet across.
(c) 2010 King Features Synd.