Whitesburg KY

Students have different education options after finishing high school

Many students think of education after high school as the traditional four-year college degree. However, students who don’t want to go that route have other options from which to choose, according to the Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority (KHEAA).

One option is to get a two-year degree that leads to a job in the workforce. A second option is a diploma or certificate that takes six to 18 months to finish, then find a job.

Students can make use of several federal and state financial aid programs to help them pay for that training, including the Work Ready Kentucky Scholarship, which KHEAA administers. They should contact the financial aid office of the school they plan to attend to learn more about student aid.

Military service is another option students have. That doesn’t mean their education has to stop at high school. All branches of the service have education options for service men and women, either while they’re in uniform or after their discharge.

The state’s National Guard members can take advantage of the Kentucky National Guard Tuition Assistance Program, also administered by KHEAA.

Service members should contact their unit educational office to discuss their student aid options.

KHEAA is the state agency that administers the Kentucky Educational Excellence Scholarship (KEES). Its sister agency, the Kentucky Higher Education Student Loan Corporation (KHESLC), offers Advantage Loans to help students and parents pay for college or to refinance student loans. For more information, visit www.advantageeducationloan.com.

For more information about Kentucky scholarships and grants, visit www.kheaa.com; write KHEAA, P.O. Box 798, Frankfort, KY 40602; or call 800-928-8926, ext. 6-7214.

Leave a Reply