Whitesburg KY

Thanks for all the birthday wishes

Good morning everyone!

It is morning as I start this column. It is rather a cool, rainy morning in the Ohio Valley area. I’ve turned my furnace on for a little while to take the chill out of the house

I made a mistake in my column, and thanks to Hayward Day for letting me know. It should have been the 1927 flood in my column last week, in reference to the celebration of Johnny Calihan’s life.

Johnny was only two weeks old when the flood came. Hayward and Johnny lost family members in the flood. The family of Johnny Calihan says a big thank you for the birthday wishes.

I want to say once more what an honor it was to attend this event for this wonderful man. Not many people can say they can trace back as far as I can and have your grandchildren to know the real connection.

I am so sorry that I never had the pleasure of meeting Gladys Hogg who is now in a nursing home in Florida. I believe Gladys is over 100 years old now. Several years ago Gladys sent me a pipe and a bowl that my greatgrandmother Nance Coots had given her when she was very young, when Gladys first started teaching school.

There are times when Ann Calihan and I discuss the life of growing up around Roxana. It is so special to relive the years of freedom to not be afraid to go to bed at night with your doors unlocked, or just a wooden latch to keep the door from coming open. Nowadays you aren’t safe even with something called an electronic device to protect you.

I asked Ann a very simple question, with tears in my eyes, is going to tell about the old days when our generation is gone?” Then we both burst out laughing, as our kids will be glad not to hear of all the hard but good times of back in the day.

My childhood was diffi- cult as I experienced things that no child should go through, and without the opportunity of formal education.

I’ve never let it hold me back, it only made me more determined to have the strength to overcome the hard times, the courage to stand on my own two feet, to face each challenge head on, and to try to help anyone anyway I can.

I am not proud of some of the choices I’ve made, but I am very proud of the person that I’ve become today. I am very proud of my children, my grandchildren, and watching my greatgrandchildren also as they excel in school.

I know a few people who claim to have college education who don’t have something called common sense nor do they seem to know what the phrase common decency means.

As I write this column, today marks another milestone in my life as another birthday has come and almost gone. Lately I’ve been reminded of how old I am!

As a matter of fact, with my illness the past year and a half I really didn’t think I would make it another year, and to be honest I actually laid on my bed and begged God to let me die.

I am thankful that God saw fit for me to be able to live a semi normal life, much to some people’s regret, so it seems. However it does amaze me, as I wonder why someone feels they have to keep bringing up just how old that another person is.

Southern Ohio

Gee, do they think they look like a spring chicken or a rooster? Too bad they don’t have a full-length mirror!

Thanks for all the birthday wishes on the computer where I received about 150 posts, for the beautiful cards in the mail, the telephone calls, and the flowers.

My daughter Kay Gray came by to bring me numerous plants for my porch. She got a little more than she had bargained for as she decided to clean my porch and got rid of some things I had put off doing.

My porch looks very nice, and if I am not careful the next thing she will be doing is getting rid of my junk in my house.

All four of my children called me to wish me happy birthday.

My daughter Anna Nottingham, her husband Scott and family are camping at a place called Hocking Hills in a tepee. Scott and Anna had a huge camper called a fifthwheeler and decided to sell it last year as they weren’t using it very much.

Johnny and Ann Calihan stopped by with a beautiful card. Ann couldn’t climb my steps so they didn’t stay very long.

My irises are finally gone and my yard looks so vacant and barren, except for a few roses and the green grass that is growing much too fast with all the rain. We’ve had quite a bit of rain and hail in this area. It completely destroyed my beautiful peonies that had just bloomed out.

I had planned on going to Carcassonne Community Center to the square dance to celebrate my birthday, instead I awoke at 3 a.m. very ill. I still played with the idea of trying to go until my daughter Kay showed up at my door.

I am sure everyone had a good time. Oh well, maybe I will be there again before too long to join in the fun.

Thanks to Les and Pat Wagner for the birthday card, and the phone call, then pictures showing how they were enjoying breakfast of biscuits and gravy in my honor. They both know I can’t have gravy without paying the consequence of hurting.

Oh wait a minute, I think Pat said gravy sort of gives her indigestion too. Pat made homemade biscuits as she doesn’t use the type called wop biscuits, that you take out of a container and wop them on the edge of a table or chair to open them.

I told Leslie I used to love him and don’t no more, and I told Pat I wasn’t sure about her either. I love these two very much, I can’t believe it has been five years since we met.

Monday night, I had every intention on going to see Tony Hale & Black Water Band, but my grandson Kyle Nottingham graduated from kindergarten so plans got changed. Those plans went awry as my daughter Angie Wiederhold called, needing me to take her to the emergency room. She wouldn’t let me go with her, she needed me to take care of my 10-year-old sidekick Bennie. Angie was at the emergency room about six hours then sent home.

I took Bennie to the park across from his house for a picnic, then after he ate a little we went to Fernback Park, where it had lots of playground equipment for him to play on.

He had so much fun, and it was so good to see him running and playing with other children. I started chilling as the later it got in the evening the cooler the air felt.

Bennie had blisters on his little hands from doing something called zipline and climbing on ropes. I plan to take him to the park again as soon as I feel a little better.

It seems locally that people aren’t putting out gardens as much as in previous years. I miss seeing produce growing.

It hasn’t bothered me as much this year when someone mentioned they have eaten a mess of fresh lettuce with green onions wilted with bacon grease, and of course you need a good piece of cornbread with it. I believe you can get used to anything if you put your mind to it, as I know I will probably never be able to digest food that I crave.

I do miss not to be able to go out to eat with friends and family. It is difficult to sit in a restaurant trying to spoon a little bit of soup while someone is chowing down on a delicious looking meal, especially when I go to Haddix Hall, better known as Hunter’s Pizzeria, to listen to music.

Vicki Power and I went to Steak and Shake for a milkshake. All I wanted was a real banana whipped up in my shake. My mouth was drooling as I waited thinking how good it would taste, and it has been years since I’ve had a real banana shake.

We were just talking about how pretty the glasses looked when the waitress brought our shakes in a to-go cup. My shake consisted of yellow powder, which she said was a banana shake. I took one taste and it burned all the way down, so I pushed it aside as I knew I couldn’t handle that on my stomach.

Then Vicki’s shake wasn’t even stirred up as it had lumps of vanilla ice cream. It was a bad experience all the way round.

I’ve just hope in the last couple of months I will be brazen enough to try to drink a little ice cream. How I wish I was back at Halcomb’s Custard Stand in Isom as they have the best soft serve that I’ve ever tasted.

Again I am thankful for what I can do, as of this writing I am having trouble keeping water down. So I am fighting dehydration.

My grass needs cutting as it has rained so much. I’ve decided to let Zach Harper of Zippy Lawn Care cut it this week for me. It is getting a little too high on the banks beside my driveway for me to handle.

I saw on the news that eastern Kentucky has been hit hard with storms this spring too.

There’s a street in Cincinnati called Baum Street. I used to go visit there when I first came from the mountains. Rain caused mudslides there and pushed several houses off their foundation on the hillside. It is heartbreaking as I recall what lovely homes used to be there years ago; now families aren’t allowed back in their homes.

I live fairly close to the river, and sometimes I worry a lot. I’ve been through a flood in 1964 and don’t ever want to go through that mess again.

I received a message from Curtis Ison, asking how to get hold of Mary Della Halcomb. Curtis Ison’s dad is Manus Ison, and Mary Della Halcomb is Manus Ison’s half-sister.

I asked Ann Calihan and she said she recognized the name, so, Curtis, if you are reading this column please get in touch with me as I’ve sent you a message and didn’t hear anything from you.

As I was reading The Mountain Eagle, a name seemed to jump out at me, Carlo and Mandy Cornett Akemon. Mother used to talk about Akemons on Big Branch.

Ruth Gibson, I am so sorry to read of the passing of your brother Shelby Akemon. I never put it together until I read the whole obituary. I will always be glad that I attended Premium Baptist Church to get to see you again.

Hello to Mart and Sue Hall. Please keep Mart’s dad in your prayers as he isn’t doing too well, along with Sue’s daughter April, who is having some health issues.

Sorry this column isn’t interesting, just give me a few days to bounce back.

Until next time, Rose Ballard, 9110 Lawrenceburg Rd., Harrison, Ohio 45030.

Leave a Reply