Whitesburg KY
Partly cloudy
Partly cloudy

The movie ‘Mountain Minor’ tells of growing up in the mountains

Southern Ohio

Hello again everyone! Are you enjoying the cooler weather that has arrived?

I really didn’t think we would be having any fall colors at all as we haven’t had rain. God is still in charge.

As I look out my window, the hillside across the hayfield has come alive, maybe not as much gold, but it is still pretty. The mountains of eastern Kentucky should be reaching their peak by the end of this month.

Oh how I wish I could head for the Smokies and back through Kentucky. I’ve listened to lots of complaining about the hot days we’ve had, well now get ready to hear me griping as I don’t like the cold, rainy, snowy, icy days of winter.

It may be alright in the confinements of a warm cozy home, but I am on the road too much. I had been playing with the idea of heading for the mountains since I had to miss Blackey Days.

I had plans on Thursday night so I knew it would be just Friday and Saturday. Thursday evening, Vickie Power and I went to the Esquire Theater in Cincinnati to see the movie “Mountain Minor”, produced and directed by Dale Farmer, who is a multi-talented musician and a wonderful person.

Vickie and I had the pleasure to see the movie several months ago as Dale had a private showing of the “Mountain Minor” at Dale’s beautiful cabin. In fact, Dale had two evenings of “Mountain Minor” along with a delicious meal. At least the meal looked delicious. However to sit in a movie theater and watch close personal friends Dale Farmer, Ma Crow, Warren and Judy Waldron, Susan, and Amie on the huge screen, well, you would have thought I had never been in a theater in my life.

“Mountain Minor” is so dear to my heart in many ways, as it is based on the early times of what it was like growing up in the mountains.

A lot of you who know me know I am still recovering from a broken ankle that is giving me fits. How thankful, I am to be blessed to know there are such caring people as someone cared enough to some way get me a small cardboard box to prop my foot on. Thank you, Ray Rechenberg.

If “Mountain Minor” is shown anywhere in your location, if there’s a drop of Appalachian roots anywhere in your family, this is a movie worth going to see.

During one segment of the movie there’s singing in a church and the way of singing struck a chord in my heart, as it was the old Regular Baptist I remembered as a child.

As the movie was ending it showed people and places, and a name stood out from all of the rest, Mount Olivet Church in Blackey. I am glad it was sort of dark, as tears started to fill my eyes, and flowed down my cheeks.

This was the church that my dad’s body lay in for two nights when he passed away. Vickie had already skedaddled out to the foyer. She was in a hurry to get home, as she had to work Friday.

There was music at Sitwell’s next to the theater to the Esquire Theater, as the musicians were performing. I really would have liked to have attended except I knew I was going to have a busy day on Friday.

Thank you, Dale Farmer, for all your many hours of hard work, the tireless nights that you have lost sleep and the miles you have traveled to get this project going. Most of all, thanks for your friendship.

Friday morning rolled around and I had set my alarm for 4 a.m., as I had things I needed to do before I was to head for the hills of home. I did a load of laundry, gathered what I need for a couple of days or so I thought. Meantime a wave of nausea hit me, I knew I was not going to be able to do anything for a while. So I returned to my recliner, and finally fell asleep.

After a couple of hours I felt a little better, then managed to head out for the door. Almost to my destination at Calvary Campus, I realized my nightgown and housecoat were hanging on my bathroom door.

When I got to the campus, I also found out that my blood pressure and stomach meds were sitting on my counter at home. A trip to Walmart took care of one problem as I purchased a pair of pajamas.

The blood pressure meds, there wasn’t anything I could do about, except do without for two days. As I returned to the campus, I started feeling bad again but after a couple of hours’ rest I decided to try to try to go to Campbell’s Branch Community Center.

It is always a pleasure to be there. As people started coming in, I couldn’t help but notice Doris Adams is recuperating from a long time of being ill. Doris is able to get around with the help of using a walker, and friend Larry who is always by her side to assist any way he can.

Bertha Turner was able to attend. Bertha is in a wheelchair due to a car accident in January. Bertha spent several months in a nursing home. I am thankful she is able to home with someone living with her. Bertha loves to come to Campbell’s Branch even though she isn’t able to dance.

To my surprise someone else came through the door being pushed in a wheelchair! Some one called Eli, who is a very good dancer. I am not acquainted with Eli and I don’t even know his last name but I’ve watched him dance for a long time. I know how much he loves music. Eli fell off a roof breaking his pelvis bone and his leg, so he isn’t going to be dancing for a while. Again, thank God he wasn’t killed or injured worse.

Another woman that dances all the time discovered she had blood clots in her lungs, so she had to sit on the sidelines. There I sat with my right ankle hurting, my heart was aching more as I miss dancing so much.

Even though I had never had a conversation with Eli, that didn’t stop me from going into the kitchen to tease him. I said to him that just as my ankle was starting to heal, I was planning to ask him to teach me how to two step (which was a little white lie), here he goes falling off a roof.

At least we had a little laugh. I can walk a little better and I am not in a wheelchair, nor do I have to wear a boot. If my balance doesn’t improve I may have to end up using a walker. At least for now I am trying to survive without falling.

It is always great to see Darlene Campbell along with her husband T., and also Alice and Fred Campbell. As I talked to Darlene I found out their daughter is married to my cousin Pete Barton. Also my cousin Teresa Griffith was married to Fred and T.’s relation. A really small world.

Saturday evening I attended Carcassonne Square Dance and there was a smaller crowd than usual, that is in the audience. The dance floor was crowded. There were several new people who really enjoyed the square dance. Mile and Marcia had a wedding to go to, and actually I hesitated to go without them being there.

My niece Sue Hall was supposed to go with me but she became ill and had to cancel at the last minute. I didn’t let that stop me as away I went. I had a great time. e trees are just beginning Th to show some changes, and that always is something I look forward to. Sunday morning before I left I met Sue at the Golden Apple for a few minutes.

Several years ago an older friend whom I loved dearly and danced with every time I was in the Dayton, Fairborn area or at bluegrass festivals, fell and broke her legs or arm. I really don’t remember which, it has been so long ago. Faye finally had to use a cane and so help me, she would dance with a cane. One night as she was leaving a dance, she was involved in an accident and danced her final dance. I will always cherish the many happy times we had together.

There was a guy that would carry a board to dance on at a festival called Round Eyes Park, a beautiful place up north, I think close to Dayton. I attended several different times.

One time Faye’s husband Chalmers teased me, saying he would give me a dollar if I would go dance on the board with the guy as he didn’t want anyone dancing with him. I walked over, stepped on the board and started dancing, the man smiled and we kept dancing.

Afterwards I said thank you, walked back to my seat, held my hand out for the dollar. Just as the band started playing a fast tune, the man on the board walked over to me, held his hand out to ask me to dance. He didn’t have to ask again and I was on my feet in a heartbeat ready to dance. When this dance was over Chalmers laughed, saying he wasn’t paying me more money.

I handed him back his dollar saying there wasn’t enough money to pay for that much enjoyment. As it turned out Charlie didn’t want children dancing on the board.

That was just the beginning of lots of times I danced with him. I am so thankful for the friendships that I have made through my life through music.

It is always such a pleasure to see Carl Boggs at Campbell’s Branch, as Carl knows I dearly love him and how much I miss his wonderful wife Willa Mae. Carl, I know you are reading this column, and you were right. Johnny and Ann Calihan did live in Mt. Carmel, Ind.

That was the first place they lived when they came. from the mountains of eastern Kentucky. I called Ann to tell her you were asking about Johnny and her. Ann said to tell you hello, that she remembers you very well. Ann will tell Johnny about you.

Hayward Day is enjoying being at home, and is doing very well. Hayward has therapy three times a week. His son has monitors in each room so they can keep an eye on Hayward.

It rained so bad coming from the mountains I couldn’t make much time, so I didn’t back in time to take my sidekick Bennie Wiederhold to the annual Fall Pumpkin Festival.

My daughter Angie Wiederhold is going to have to get surgery on her foot as her toes are spreading apart, and she is barely able to walk. In order to walk she has to tape her toes together. I didn’t realize she was in that condition, so she couldn’t take Bennie to the festival, or I might have stayed home from the mountains and taken Bennie Saturday.

Who am I kidding? Everyone who knows me knows I am selfish, and off to the mountains I go.

Hello to Les and Pat Wagner and all the family. My son Keith Ballard’s hand isn’t looking good. Keith goes back to the doctor Tuesday. I worked my behind off to make sure he wouldn’t have to do anything while I was gone except I hadn’t pre-cooked food. Keith scrubbed the kitchen and bathroom floors on his hands and knees while I was gone, as he knows I don’t like to use a mop. I have to use one now, as I can’t get on my knees to clean.

Well the time is catching up on me, plus my ankle needs propped up a few minutes. Take a few minutes to enjoy the beautiful colors of autumn, as they will be here for a very little time.

Until next time, Rose Ballard, 9110 Lawrenceburg Rd., Harrison, Ohio 45030, Bluegrassama4@aol.com.

Leave a Reply