Use butter only for this perfect holiday sweet for your family or an old-fashioned swap with friends.
3 cups all-purpose flour 3 tablespoons cornstarch 3/4 teaspoon salt 1-1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon peel
1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
5 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1-1/2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon peel
1. Prepare lemon cookies: Preheat oven to 325 F. On waxed paper, combine flour, cornstarch and salt. In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat butter and sugar until creamy, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula. Beat in lemon peel and extracts. Reduce speed to low; gradually beat in flour mixture until blended, occasionally scraping bowl.
2. Divide dough in half. Between two 20-inch sheets of waxed paper, roll half of dough 3/8 inch thick. (If paper wrinkles during rolling, peel it off , then replace it to remove wrinkles.)
3. With floured 2 1/4-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut dough into as many cookies as possible. With floured 3/4-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out and remove centers from cookies. Reserve centers and trimmings to reroll. With lightly floured wide spatula, carefully place cookies, 1 inch apart, on ungreased large cookie sheet. (If dough becomes too soft to transfer to cookie sheet, freeze 10 minutes until firm.)
4. Bake cookies 15 to 16 minutes or until edges are golden. Transfer cookies to wire rack; cool 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, prepare lemon glaze: In small bowl, with wire whisk or fork, mix confectioners’ sugar, lemon juice and lemon peel until blended. Dip top side of each warm cookie into glaze. Place cookies on wire rack set over waxed paper to catch any drips. Allow glaze to set, about 20 minutes.
6. Repeat with remaining dough, reserved centers, trimmin, and glaze, adding a little water to glaze if it begins to thicken. Store cookies, with waxed paper between layers, in tightly covered container at room temperature up to 1 week, or in freezer up to 3 months. Makes about 72 cookies.
• Each serving: About 75 calories,
4g total fat (3g saturated),
11mg cholesterol, 65mg sodium,
9g total carbohydrate, 1g protein.
©2010 Hearst Communications