Whitesburg KY

Tips to help students transferring colleges

Many college students end up transferring from one school to another. Some students plan it that way, going to a two-year school to complete their basics, then finishing up at a fouryear school. Others find the school they chose really isn’t the best fit for them, or perhaps family circumstances changed.

The Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority (KHEAA) offers these tips for making sure your transfer goes smoothly.

One thing to do is contact the registrar’s office at your new school to find out what credits and grades you earned at your current school will transfer.

You should talk with the financial aid office at your current school to make sure you don’t owe anything or to find out if you get a refund. Also talk with the financial aid office at your new school to make sure you’ve done everything you need to get funding when you transfer.

These tools can help answer your questions about transferring:

• the Transfer Planning Guide section of www.knowhow2transfer.org.

• the General Education Transfer Policy at www.knowhow2goky.org.

If you have more questions about transferring, each college should have a contact person who can answer them.

KHEAA is the state agency that administers Kentucky’s student financial aid programs, including the Kentucky Educational Excellence Scholarship (KEES).

To find links to other useful education websites, go to www.gotocollege.ky.gov. For more information about Kentucky scholarships and grants, visit www.kheaa.com; write KHEAA, P.O. Box 798, Frankfort, KY 40602; or call 800-928-8926, ext. 6-7372.

Leave a Reply