Whitesburg KY
Partly cloudy
Partly cloudy

Two of three accused killers released under house arrest

Two of three people accused of killing a 70-year-old Goose Creek man more than two years ago have recently been granted home incarceration.

Lloyd Steven Pigg, 39, of Jenkins, was released from the Pike County Jail on June 14 and placed on home incarceration with electronic monitoring. Christina Collins, 33, of Millstone, was released from the Letcher County Jail on June 10 and placed on home incarceration monitored by pretrial release. John William Pigg Jr., 39, of Thornton, is still lodged in the Letcher County Jail.

The trio are accused of beating Ralph Marcum to death with a hammer on April 12, 2008 and dumping his body over an embankment near Myra in Pike County.

Letcher Circuit Judge Sam Wright signed an agreed order June 9 releasing Lloyd Pigg, who is being represented by Pikeville attorney Jonah Stevens, from prison and placing him on home incarceration with electronic monitoring under the condition that his mother, Margaret Bentley, sign a $50,000 non-secured surety bond. Lloyd Pigg is permitted to attend all medical appointments and legal consultations related to this case. If he violates terms of the order, the bond could be forfeited. Lloyd Pigg withdrew his motion for a speedy trial.

Also on June 9, Wright signed an order modifying bond for Collins, who is being represented by Barbara Conns, an assistant public advocate in Corbin, to $50,000 surety with the additional condition of home incarceration monitored by pretrial release. Letcher Commonwealth’s Attorney Edison Banks opposed the bond reduction at a hearing held in Letcher Circuit Court on June 9.

A trial date will be set once IQ tests are analyzed to determine whether or not John Pigg is subject to the death penalty.

John Pigg Jr., Lloyd Pigg, and Collins are under indictment for complicity to murder, first-degree robbery, and four other charges in connection with the murder of Ralph Marcum of Fleming-Neon.

Authorities say Marcum was beaten to death with a hammer in a small home resembling a tool shed where Lloyd Pigg was living next to his mother at 178 B&O Hill in Jenkins. Collins told police that John Pigg hit Marcum with a hammer after Marcum refused to give the trio a ride to buy beer.

Collins and the two Piggs are also charged with complicity to theft of more than $300, tampering with physical evidence, seconddegree burglary, and complicity to theft of a controlled substance.

The trio committed theft, the grand jury says, when they “took control” of Marcum’s 1991 Toyota automobile and used it to move Marcum’s body to rural Pike County, an action that also led to them being indicted on a tampering with physical evidence charge.

The indictments, returned in 2008, say Collins and the two Piggs committed second-degree burglary when they broke into Marcum’s apartment at Goose Creek, where they “took possession of controlled substances” that had belonged to Marcum.

Collins, who was found walking along KY 317 at Deane on the morning after the murder, was also indicted on a charge of alcohol intoxication for the third or more time.

The grand jury indicted John Pigg on 15 additional charges for crimes he allegedly committed after he murdered Marcum. John Pigg was arrested after he wrecked Marcum’s vehicle at Payne Gap after leading police on a chase at speeds of more than 100 miles per hour from Thornton, where on the morning after the murder Pigg had allegedly beaten his estranged wife, Wendy Hatton Pigg, and assaulted the couple’s young daughter.

The grand jury charges that before the chase began, John Pigg committed second-degree burglary by unlawfully entering the Thornton home of his wife’s parents, Charles and Aggie Hatton; fourth-degree assault for injuring Wendy Pigg; third-degree terroristic threatening for threatening to kill Wendy Pigg; and violated an emergency protective order.

The chase involving John Pigg and Kentucky State Police Sgt. Barry Engle began at the Thornton bridge and ended near Fishpond Lake, when Pigg lost control of Marcum’s car and crashed into a vehicle operated by Nicholas Meacham.

Because the wreck resulted in injuries to Meacham and his pregnant wife, the jury indicted John Pigg on two counts of fourthdegree assault. He was also indicted on two counts of first-degree wanton endangerment and one count of first-degree fleeing or evading police. The jury said John Pigg committed two counts of firstdegree criminal mischief when the wreck destroyed the vehicles belonging to Marcum and the Meachams.

The grand jury indicted John Pigg on a charge of being a persistent felony off ender in the first degree. The jury said in addition to being charged with a separate felony in 2007, Pigg was convicted of charges contained in a felony indictment returned against him in 1999.

Leave a Reply