There are lots of opportunities for you to enter your handwork, food goodies, etc. at the 2016 Mountain Heritage Festival. These contests are being sponsored by the Letcher County Extension Office, located at 478 Extension Drive (off Stone Avenue and the Whitesburg By-pass). There is no entry fee.
General rules and regulations for exhibits
1. All exhibits may be entered at the Letcher County Extension Office on Monday, Sept. 29, between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. In special circumstances, you may bring entries in on Friday, September 16. The entries will be on display until Friday, the 23th.
2. Entries will be accepted only in categories listed. Exhibits not listed will not be judged.
3. No person will be allowed more than one entry in a class; however, the same person may enter exhibits in as many lots as he or she chooses.
4. All exhibits must be the work of the person exhibiting it.
5. Exhibits are to be picked up by 3 p.m. on Monday, September 26, at the County Extension Office.
Rules for canning, baking, and candy
Judging will be based on:
1. Use of standard commercial glass jars.
2. Lids in good condition and free of rust. If two-piece lids are used, rings should be left on. (Paraffin may be used on jellies only).
3. Baked foods, canned foods, and candy may be tasted to determine quality by the judges.
4. Baked foods and candy should be entered in disposable containers or wrappings.
5. No foods made from commercial mixes will be allowed. Please include a copy of your recipe.
Categories for home canned foods
1. Jellies 2. Jams 3. Preserves 4. Fruits 5. Vegetables 6. Pickles 7. Relishes 8. Butters and sweets
Categories for candy
1. Fudge 2. Dipped 3. Other candy
Categories for homebaked goods
Lot 1 Yeast Breads Class: 1. Loaf Bread 2. Yeast Rolls (6) 3. Other (tea ring, doughnuts (6), coffee cake, etc.)
Lot 2 – Quick Breads Class: 4. Biscuits (6) 5. Corn muffins (6) 6. Nut bread.
Lot 3 Cookies Class: 7. Sugar Cookies (6) 8. Peanut butter (6) 9. Brownies (6)
Lot 4 Cakes (½ cake) Class: 10. Sponge cake 11. Butter cake 12. Chocolate cake 13. Pound cake 14. Jam cake 15. Fruit cake 16. Old fashioned stack cake
Lot 5 Pies Class: 17. Chocolate pie 18. Lemon pie 19. Custard pie 20. Fruit pie
Ribbons will be awarded to the three top entries in each category/class.
For more information, contact Ann Bradley, County Extension Agent ; 478 Extension Dr.; P.O. Box 784; Whitesburg, Ky. 41858 or call 633-2362.