Whitesburg KY
Mostly sunny
Mostly sunny

Whitesburg fire likely caused by bad wiring

The cause of a house fire in Whitesburg on Saturday evening was most likely electrical, an official said.

John Swisher, Whitesburg’s assistant volunteer fire chief, returned to the house located on Indiana Avenue on Monday and found where arcing had occurred. It had been a process that had been going on for over a period of years, he said.

The small house had three different roofs on it, which kept in the heat, Swisher said.

“Being well insulated is great when you are paying your electric bill, not when fighting a fire,” he said.

The fire was reported at around 9:45 p.m. on April 20 and was the house was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived.

“It was coming out one side of the house,” said Swisher. “We tried every method we knew. Everywhere we tried to put it out, another one started.”

“There was nothing we could get out,” he added.

Willis and Celestina Jones, the owners of the house, were not at home at the time of the fire.

Firefighter Terry Perkins was admitted to the Whitesburg hospital after suffering from smoke inhalation.

The Sandlick Fire Department assisted with putting out the fire.

Leave a Reply