The Whitesburg Middle School speech team won the Kentucky High School Speech League’s Appalachian Region Junior Division Regional Speech Competition held at Knott County Central High School last month. There are 11 categories in the junior division, and WMS brought home medals in nine of the events.
The events and medal winners are:
• Broadcast, Kaci Mc- Cown, second place; also competing, Samuel Mullins.
• Duo Acting, Kaci Mc- Cown and Madison Parsons, first place; Abigail Little and Isabelle Thomas, second place; also competing, Ashley Vanover and Samuel Mullins. Matt Craft and Dalton Honeycutt prequalified for state in an earlier invitational tournament.
• Extemporaneous Speaking, Samuel Mullins, first place; Patrick Stewart, second place.
• Humorous Dramatic Interpretation, Matt Craft, first place; Dalton Hon- eycutt, second place; also competing, Ellie Mullins.
• Impromptu Speaking, Ashley Vanover, first place; also competing, Jazmin Ramirez and Emma Halcomb.
• Improvisational Duo, Gracie Hatton and Gracie Howard, first place; Abby Bentley and Jadeyn Conn, second place; also competing, Kaleigh Adams and Rebecca Bailey.
• Original Oratory, Ashley Vanover, first place; also competing, Stephen Burke.
• Poetry, Rebecca Bailey, second place; also competing, Michael Hardin and Jazmin Ramirez.
• Prose, Rebecca Bailey and Elexis Craft.
• Solo Acting, Olivia Frazier, second place; also competing, Abby Bentley and Jadeyn Conn.
• Storytelling, Olivia Frazier, Abby Bentley and Kaleigh Adams.
The team is coached by Debi Sexton with Judges Rhoda Whitaker, Vanessa Vanover, Angie Hatton Mullins, Sharie Bailey, Tonya Little, Tonya McCown and Beau Hatton.
All members of the WMS team now advance to state competition in Lexington March 25-26. In seven years, the team has won four regional titles and two regional runner-up titles.
Donations are being sought to help with travel expenses. For more information, call (606) 633-2761.