Whitesburg KY

Yard fire still burning at midnight

Southern Ohio

Hello everyone! How is everything in your little corner of the world?

My son, Keith, decided he would mow the yard whether it needed it or not. I’d rather have Keith go back and forth with the mower, however he goes around and wherever he takes a notion. Bennie decided he would pluck a couple of my tulips. At least he wasn’t partial, he plucked a red and a yellow one. These tulip bulbs are over 30 years old.

After Keith finished mowing and trimming, he decided to burn some brush that has been piling up for some time. In this area you have to get a burn permit, then call the fire department before starting the burning process. When he left he said it should be all right.

When Angie picked Bennie up at 12 a.m., I asked her to walk out back with me. Sure enough there were some pretty live flames still glowing in the darkness of the night. This would have been ideal if you had the fixin’s for a weenie or marshmallow roast.

This was the middle of the night, which means I was in my nightgown ready for bed! I was afraid of falling on the tail of my gown so I tied it up, however I tied it so t ight I had to walk with very small steps.

Angie climbed over the fence and we passed Bennie back and forth as I carried buckets of water so she could throw them on the fire to put it out. We finally had our mission accomplished.

After a lot of laughter and some scrubbing up, Angie finally went home for some much needed rest. My life is never too boring!

Gwen Huff Farmer really enjoyed having her son, John Farmer, and his family for the weekend. They took Gwen fishing at Geno-Jones Lake, and had to go get fishing licenses at Harrisburg. The trip really paid off as they caught plenty of fish, came home and had a feast. Gwen is hoping she can go again in May.

Shirley Wells of Clarksville, Tenn., had a phone call from a friend of long ago, Bertha (Page) Dye. She now lives in Prestonsburg. Shirley learned how to walk in Bertha’s mother’s house when she was a baby! This phone call really meant a lot to Shirley.

Vickie Power and I took a drive to North Vernon, Ind., to an antique store. This store fascinates me, there’s so much there that reminds me of growing up in the mountains. You will find all sorts of washtubs. I found a small glass washboard that was a lingerie washboard. I found a coal bucket which was marked as an ash bucket, and a small shovel that was used for ashes. The prices aren’t too unreasonable! I do more looking than buying.

It was sort of raining when we left my house, then it cleared and the sun peeked out for a while. The trip was beautiful as the redbud trees lined both sides of the highway. I drove on to Hayden, Ind., as my children’s grandmother was from there. You might say I was digging up bones, as Randy Travis says in one of his songs. It was a very enjoyable day.

Johnny and Ann Calihan went to West Virginia to spend some time with Ann’s sister, Evadean, and her husband, Laffe Marcum. The Marcums aren’t doing very well, so keep them in your prayers.

Hello to Hayward and Vivian Day and their daughter, Kim, who looks more like her mom all the time. I haven’t seen any of them in a while. Ann tells me that everyone is kicking, just not as high as they used to.

Vickie and I went to Treadway’s Bluegrass Barn at Bath, Ind. Coolie Jr. Calihan and his lovely daughter, Donna, with several others make up the house band. This event is from 2 to 5 p.m. each Sunday.

It is always such a pleasure to sit in the audience and watch and listen to Coolie Jr., knowing he is originally from Paices Branch “Paradise Holler”.

Congratulation to Coolie Jr. and Pat Calihan, who celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on April 18. Coolie Jr. is slightly outnumbered since he and Pat have seven daughters!

I slightly remember Coolie Jr.’s name along with his two brothers, Stanley and Odell. His sister, Delores Calihan Fields, and our mother, Ora Hall, were good friends when I was a child at Roxana.

Hello to Bob Stansberry and his wife, who live someplace in Tennessee. Bob drives one of those big 18- wheelers that keep our world moving. I know Bob’s wife reads my column.

Hello to my brother, Richie, and Wanda Hall. I wish Wanda would send me some of her energy. She can work all day and still have the strength to cook and clean when she gets home.

I had a double treat as I kept my two—year-old great-grandson, T.J. Proctor, along with little Bennie. T.J. is three weeks older than Bennie, so it was just like having twins. T.J. will get a diaper and say he needs changing. Bennie will see me get the diaper and wipes, and runs and hides in a corner, under the table or wherever just to get me to chase him. T.J. will eat anything that won’t bite him, and Bennie barely will eat anything at all.

Helen Ayers, I am sorry I keep forgetting to thank you for the information about Little Nashville, Ind., and Bill Monroe’s Bluegrass Festival. I have spent a couple of weekends camping at Bean Blossom. I haven’t been there since 2004. I am thinking about going again this year. Little Nashville is such a nice place to go. It really gets crowded during summer so I am glad that we went there before the tourist season!

Hello to Clarence and Arlyn Halcomb, my brother, Jerry, and Mattie Hall and all their friends.

My sympathy goes out to the family of Minnie Page, who was a neighbor to Mattie and Jerry Hall.

Hello to Alberta Bailey; we finally got to talk on the phone.

Barefoot Bill and Betty Kelly, I bet I know where you have gone once again!

Old Time Fiddlers meet first Sunday of each month at Miamitown, Ohio, from 1 to 4 p.m. This meeting the music will be outside on the gazebo next to the fire department. Come out for some good entertainment.

That old clock on the wall is once again giving me the evil eye so I guess I better get my day started once again. Until next time. Rose Ballard, 9110 Lawrenceburg Road, Harrison, Ohio 45030, email Bluegrassmama4@aol.com, (513) 367-4682.

Leave a Reply